Web Writing: Create Writing Flow With Four Uncommon Connectors
Connectors -- conjunctions, punctuation, and transitional phrases -- allow readers to process information promptly by creating balance and relationships between sentence parts. The connectors are performing the same work as verbs, objects, modifiers and multiple subjects.
Here are four uncommon connections that will create an easier flow for your readers:
1. Parallel Constructions. This side-by-side structure builds the bond between multiple joined parts. Example: In the children's story, Peter Pan stresses the need "for Wendy to sew" his shadow back on, "for her to return" to Never Never Land with him to take care of the Lost Boys, and "for them to leave" before her parents returned.
2. Beginning your sentence with a conjunction. One way to divide a long sentence or several independent clauses is to make each clause an independent sentence. And, but and or are three common conjunctions used frequently. This shortens the sentence, creates a conversational level, and keeps the reader moving forward.
3. Creating A Series Without A Conjunction. Using punctuation, usually commas but not limited to them, instead of words to separate, opens the door of possibilities in the reader's mind. It allows them to "feel" the "something more" and mindfully fill in their own words. The series allows readers to sense a separateness rather than a joined relationship. Example: Tinker Bell got angry, didn't like Wendy, flew frantically around the room. Many times editors want to add a conjunction -- and, but or or -- to the last series. When actually it is intentionally not added to create the feeling of possibilities. Ask yourself, "Do I want to create this feeling, or be more adamant with the reader?"
4. Listing Your Series In Order of Length -- From Short to Long. Arranging the words of your series from short to long and from simple compound/ complex make the process easier to understand. And if you can list them in alphabetical order it expands flow. There has also been research done on how people try to memorize and slow down when they read this type of series.
In the first example, parallel construction, the listing was an exception. The complex part was in the middle because of the chronological series of events.
In the first paragraph, "verbs, objects, modifiers and multiple subjects" is listed in the short to long and create an easier reading flow. If you read the sentence this way: "The connectors are performing the same work as modifiers, multiple subjects, verbs, and objects" your mind stops and goes. Many times this causes the reader to be confused or even for them to exit.
Web writing differs from paper-printed writing because of the way it is read. People scan what they read. This is people don't blink and they approach the Net with a mind set of information overload. Additionally, this is why there are different structural rules. Using connectors is just one such change you need to make in your writing for the World Wide Web.
Catherine Franz is a Marketing & Writing Coach, niches, product development, Internet marketing, nonfiction writing and training. Additional Articles: http://www.abundancecenter.com blog: http://abundance.blogs.com
How To Publish Your Own Newsletter
With the expansion and diversion of businesses, manufacturers, and even hobbyists into more and more specialized areas of endeavor, there is an increasing need for information. And newsletters are the high profit way to cash in on the market for specialized information.
The Unwritten World Of The Reality Of Letterwriting
You may wonder why I have chosen this title of this post. Well from my experience is that it is really hard to put the feeling into words about what letter writing means to me.
Aesop, Abraham Lincoln, and You
May I tell you about a writing technique shared by Aesop and Abe Lincoln?Let's look first at Aesop's timeless tale about the tortoise and the hare. It's the one that ends "slow and sure wins the race.
How to Come Up with Fresh Story Ideas
How to Come Up with Fresh Story Ideas When Your Well has Been Tapped DryWhen I face the desolate impossibility of writing 500 pages, a sick sense of failure falls on me, and I know I can never do it. Then gradually, I write one page and then another.
Six Tips for Submitting Fiction - if you want it to get published
You can learn a lot about what it takes to place a story in an ezine by starting up one of your own.Last month I started work on a new ezine for writers, which I intended to use to publish high-quality, contemporary fiction, from writers all over the world.
The Magic of Layout in Your Story
"The Magic of Layout..
Write Your Way To A Better Brain
Boost Brain Power Through WritingHave you ever noticed what happens to an idea once you express it? Just talking about it or writing it down causes you to clarify it in your own mind. How can you use this to increase your brain power? Start writing.
Is Horror Dead?
I've noticed a big shift away from traditional horror recently, in books, shorts and in subs to E2M.What's happened to the werewolves, devils, demons, ghosts, vamps and other nasties?Some claim that the above has been done to death.
A Writers Personal Cheer Squad
We all need a cheer squad.We all need people to say 'Good on you!'; 'Way to go!'; 'You've done a great job'; 'You're really on the way.
Write That Down! Compulsively Collecting Content for Your Writing
Have you ever read someone else's writing and thought one of the following things:Where did he get such great stories?Why can't I think of examples like that?How does she always develop amazing illustrations?The answer is: content.In writing, content is KING.
3 Tips to Achieve Your Writing Goals
1. Make your goals achievable.
Mama Dont Allow No Fighting in Your Writing
When you sit down to write a steamy romance, a spine-tingling horror story, or an action-packed adventure, lock the door. The last thing you need is your mother, father, coach, English teacher or pastor reading over your shoulder and giving you advice.
Formats for Writing Life Narratives
Q and A.Best choice when subject is very verbal or there are two or more people beinginterviewed or taped at the same time.
What Is The Single Worst Writing Mistake?
The following answer sounds simplistic?but think about it. The single worst writing mistake is "not starting.
Pairs/Groups Of Words Often Confused - Part 6 of 6
SALE, SAIL Sale is either offering something for purchase ("for sale")or offering it at a special price ("on sale"); sail is partof a ship or boat.SELL, CELLSell is to exchange for money; cell is a small room.
Boost Your Income With Trade Journals
Why would anyone want to write for trade journals? Aren't the topics are dry? Don't they require specialized knowledge? Not necessarily. You may want to consider trade journals to increase the potential market for your articles - and for the money.
When I Grow Up
I've just come back to work after nine glorious, sun-drenched days at home. This year, vacation was the week of July 4th.
Idea Mining for Writers 101
Want to write an article or book, but are stuck for ideas? Here are a few practical ways to awaken that muse.- Keep a writer's journal.
How To Write Cover Letters That Work
Sometimes there is confusion about the exact meaning of theterm "cover letter".That's because when most people use that term, they don'trealize that there are two main types of cover letters.
A Series of Articles on Autobiography
ESSAYS ON AUTOBIOGRAPHY: NUMBER 1Preamble:Nearly seven years ago I wrote my first essay on the nature of autobiography. It was some two years after completing my initial draft, the first edition of my own autobiography.