Need a Book Coach, Ghost Writer, or Editor? Part 2
If you either want to write a book to help others create a better life and boost business or you already have your book nearly finished, you may need book coaching to answer all of your questions "What step to take next?"
Know Your Editing Choices
- Line editing. Use this final professional edit after you have already revised your work three times. These three revisions include: excluding all redundancies, reworking all the words and sentences so they are your finest with few passive verb constructions (aim for 2-4%) and relatively short sentences. Finally, look at headings, paragraphs and transitions to make sure your message carries power through placement and is easy to read. These editors charge $50 an hour or more.
- Developmental editing. While you put your writing, ideas and sentences forth, a developmental editor will not just polish your syntax, but fill in gaps you don't want to take time for. It's practically like ghost-writing and you need to choose a really professional editor who will not do this work on spec, but will charge you an hourly fee of $60 an hour plus or by the project.
- Ghost writing. You give your topic, thesis and chapter focuses to a person you want to finish the research, put it together in chapter form, and write it to sell well. Again, you need to hire a real professional who specializes in ghost writing for your kind of book, whether it is a novel, memoir, how-to or history. These professionals also charge $60 plus an hour or by the project.
Seek a Book Coach First before you waste time or money going down a path that does not serve you.
Benefits a Book Coach Brings
1. A coach can look at your idea or topic and ask you a few questions.
- What's your book's purpose?
- Where are you now with this project?
- What chapters are finished?
- Is your introduction and table of contents done?
- Does your title convince your preferred audience to buy?
- Do you know your audience inside and out? Prospective buyers will ask you, "Why should I buy your book?" Can you tell them in a few sentences?
- is this topic your # one passion?
- Are you willing to put in two-three years to get the word out with traditional promoting?
- Or eight months to a year with internet marketing?
Depending on your answers, you will learn from your coach what you need to do next.
The biggest mistakes emerging writers make, even if they are professionals:
Finally, think of your book as a lifetime profit center. Invest in the service that gives you what you need to sell well.
About The Author
Judy Cullins: 20-year author, speaker, book coach Helps entrepreneurs manifest their book and web dreams
eBk: "Ten Non-techie Ways to Market Your Book Online"
To receive FREE "The Book Coach Says..." or Business Tip of the Month go to
Writing Made Them Rich #1: JK Rowling
Joanne Kathleen Rowling was born in Chipping Sodbury,England in 1965. She began writing at the age of 6 with astory called 'Rabbit', which she never finished.
How To Filter Description Through Your Characters
How do you describe a scene without slowing down the pace of your novel? What do you include? What do you leave out? Here's a neat trick: use your own experiences as a guide.When we encounter a new setting or new experience, all our senses are on the alert.
Four Easy Ways to Get a Book Written (Especially If You Dont Like to Write)
Becoming an author is probably a lot easier than you think. It's time to get that book out of your head and onto the printed page.
Suspense Novels Need Fast Starts
Suspense novels, unlike any other genre, need fast starts. Fans of suspense novels or their close relatives, thrillers, detective stories and mysteries, expect a fast-paced read.
Whose Story Is It?
Whenever you sit down to plot a story (or even to think about a story) one of the first things you have to ask yourself is this: "Whose story IS it?"It seems like a simple question - but your story can succeed or fail depending on how you handle this. Told from the wrong point of view, a story can founder before the first chapter has come to an end.
Story Structure - Final Conflict
Beyond three and four act story structure, lies the Hero's Journey.The Hero's Journey is the most usable story structure consisting of at least 106 stages and the template for successful contemporary stories, from Star Wars to Al Pacino Scarface to The Incredibles to War of the Worlds to The Dirty Dozen to Midnight Cowboy.
Are Writing Exercises Effective?
It was reported that the great American author Sinclair Lewis was once asked to give a lecture on writing to a group of college students: "Looking out at this gathering," he said to the assembled students, "makes me want to know how many of you really and truly wish to become writers?" Every hand in the room went up. Lewis looked at them for a moment and then folded his notes and put them away.
Creative Writing Tips - Have You Established Your Main Character At The Start?
In the beginning of your story you have to grab your readers' interest and sustain it till the end. Our hook is our character.
Inspiring the Poet in You!
Poems. Just the mention of them makes me smile.
What Nationally Published Columnist, Cindy Laferle Has To Say About Writing & Journalism
Today Norm Goldman, Editor of sketchandtravel and bookpleasures is honored to have as a guest, the nationally published newspaper columnist and author, Cindy LaFerle. Cindy recently published a book entitled, Writing Home, a collection of essays focusing on home, family and motherhood.
Mexican Living: Pasatiempo
It occurred to me one day that I needed something to do with my time when I wasn't writing. You know--something to divert myself so more writing ideas could come to mind.
The Best Freelance Job Boards for Writers
How many times have you checked out a job board to that either it no longer exists or that there is one or two jobs listed. Out of the hundreds of job boards on the Web today, how do you find those containing projects that you are interested in and qualified for.
Have You Tested Your Theme Against Your Plot?
Creative Writing Tips -How we usually begin the preparation stage in the writing process is?We think of an idea for a storyWe think of a suitable themeWe plotOnce we come up with a theme and we begin plotting, we have to see how the theme and the plot match up. Sometimes as we plot we find that the theme we had initially chosen won't do.
Recipe for a Style Guide
Wired Online has recently announced its plans to drop capitalization in internet, web, and net, but Wired Magazine continues to capitalize these words. Which should you do? For the most part, it's up to you.
What Is The Single Worst Mistake Most People Make When Writing Classified Ads?
All sales begin with some form of advertising whether it's word of mouth or printed media or even electronic. To build sales, this advertising must be seen or heard by potential buyers.
The Heart of the Delay: Harnessing The Wisdom of Procrastination (AKA Writers Block)
I am sure that at in some era, at some desk, with some kind of paper (and perhaps some very special ink), some writer has breezed through a lengthy and challenging project from beginning to end with no delays. No one in her household has suffered, she's felt pleased at each step of the process, and her shoulders have never cried out for massage.
Keys to Characterisation
Far too many inexperienced writers create flat, stereotypical characters: the brave fireman, the damsel in distress, the strict schoolmistress. The best characters are those who evoke emotions within the reader - fear, admiration, affection, laughter, horror? If the writer fails to make us care about the characters, no matter how ingenious the plot, we will toss the story aside without a second thought.
Want to start a publishing revolution?
Calling all publishers, editors, journalists and freelance writers. It's time to breathe more life into your copy.
Writing Tips For Novice Authors
If you are reading this article then you probably have asked yourself at some point in your life, "Do I have what it takes to become an author?"I believe that successful authors, those who actually write and finish that novel, or book of poetry, or even that book of short stories, and see it all the way to publication, have certain characteristics.Characteristics of Authors1.
Benjamin Franklin: His Ageless Writing Tips
If Ben Franklin were alive today, he would be..