Top Ten Great Headline Ideas
What Makes a Great Headline?
Headlines are far more important than the copy beneath them. If you don't use headlines within your chapter or in your Web site sales letters and article titles, you will lose your audience's attention in a few seconds. And, that's serious.
Apply These Top Ten Headline Ideas and Prosper
1. Needs to compel and propel the skimmer to stay and go to sales copy beneath if on your Web site. Your book chapter headlines should lead your reader by the hand to what he wants to know. They can be questions or statements, but make them clear, and if possible, sizzle.
2. Must be attention-getting. Use emotion in your copywriting because people buy because they connect emotionally, not because they need something.
3. Make it benefit-driven--how your product or service will solve your audience's problem, concern, or challenge.
4. Make an irresistible offer. Most eBooks that sell well offer special bonus reports they attach at the end of the document. People often buy just because of the bonus such as my "How to Get Testimonials from the Rich and Famous" for my book on writing a book.
5. Make a wild promise and pay up. Most people don't like hype, but will notice your promises in your benefit statements. Back it up with the how when they read the copy beneath the headline.
6. Keep it simple. Some headlines go on and on to include many problems and benefits. Stick to a one line for the best results.
7. Include one top benefit. The top headline of your Web or email sales letter should taut your number one benefit of your product or service. Show the big result and wow your readers. They are looking for answers.
8. Build curiosity/suspense. Would this attract you? "Overcome Writers' Block with Snake Dancing?" Sometimes the improbable can hook your readers attention, and that's what you want.
9. Must be "you" centered.
Instead of saying "I can do this for you" write it "You will get this benefit when you..." Check out your home page. Does it need a lift? If it has a lot about you, your mission, and your bio, you have missed the mark.
10. Think before you write your headlines. Leave the lackluster ones behind. To announce his seminars, one client put "Upcoming Seminars" in the email subject line. Who cares? Entice your market to act by making a specific, benefit-driven headline.
To prepare for great headlines, start with a list of great benefits. Before you post, check with associates for their reactions. They are a sample of the groups and individuals you want to attract.
Judy Cullins ©2005 All Rights Reserved.
Judy Cullins, 20-year Book and Internet Marketing Coach works with small business people who want to make a difference in people's lives, build their credibility and clients, and make a consistent life-long income. Judy is author of 10 eBooks including Write your eBook or Other Short Book Fast, Ten Non-Techie Ways to Market Your Book Online, The Fast and Cheap Way to Explode Your Targeted Web Traffic, and Power Writing for Web Sites That Sell. She offers free help through her 2 monthly ezines, "The BookCoach Says...," "Business Tip of the Month," blog Q & A at http://www.bookcoaching.com/opt-in.shtml and over 170 free articles.
Email her at Judy@bookcoaching.com.Phone: 619/466-0622 -- Orders: 866/200-9743
Five Tips to Find More Time for Your Writing Life
When I asked new ezine subscribers, "What is your Number One writing question?" the answer came back loud and clear: "Time!"How do I find time to write? I'm busy all day -- and when I make some time, the phone rings or someone needs to see me right away.Here's how a coaching session -- or series of sessions -- might address these questions.
Get Creative In The Great Outdoors
Summer's here and the time is write for dancing in the streets..
What Does It Take To Make Your Memories Into Publishable Memoirs?
Why should you consider creating a memoir of your personal experiences for publication?Who would want to read your life story?I believe the main reason you may want to think about writing a memoir of your life is fairly simple. Everyone has different experiences in life that we learn from, that shape our lives, that hurt us, help us, give us insight, and allow us to grow.
Writing is a Discipline
If a writer considers writing to be a task, he/she is doomed to failure. Since it cannot be a task, then what is it? It is a discipline.
Break in with Fillers: The Best Market for New Writers
Interested in breaking into writing or breaking into a new area? You can't go past writing fillers. Fillers are one of the most overlooked opportunities in the freelance writing world and offer one of the best opportunities for new writers.
Want to start a publishing revolution?
Calling all publishers, editors, journalists and freelance writers. It's time to breathe more life into your copy.
Review In 29 Steps Plus One
I just finished to read a book. A story for kids (yes, I like them), interesting, told with participation and sometimes irony.
Writers Block is No Longer a Problem
"If you're like me, than I'm sure you're pretty familiar with the well-known writer's block.From time to time, when you have to start writing something, be it an article, an ebook, or just a letter, there is that moment when you just stare at the blank sheet of paper (or at the vibrant colors of your monitor) and nothing seems to come out from your mind.
Important Points of Fiction
Fiction manuscripts receive feedback that addresses and scores:· The theme of the book· Character development and depth· Plot and story line resolution· Pace and setting of the story· The effective use of dialog· The appropriateness of the tense and point of view· How compelling the book will be in the marketplace· Spelling, grammar, punctuation and much more!The theme or premise of a novel is important because it sets the stage for the characters, the setting, the plot, the conflict, and the climax. Is it a story of love, jealousy, ambition, adventure, of triumph or failure? These themes, as well as many others must be considered and decided upon by the fiction writer.
Rules for Getting the Story Down
1. Write it fast, fix it later.
Gaining Writing Experience
GAINING WRITING EXPERIENCE Some Catch-22, huh? In the writing business, you can't get published until you have some experience. If you can't get published until you have experience, how do you get experience? How do you get publishing clips to show all those publishers who want to see "previously published clips"? It's almost as if Lily Tomlin's telephone operator character came up with this: "Is this the party to whom I'm speaking? Are you the unpublished writer who has published clips I can look at? (Snort, snort!)" What's an unpublished writer to do? Get published, of course! I'm not being flippant; I'm serious.
10 Tips To Help You Pack More Power Into Your Business Writing
1. Before you write anything down define not what you want to say, but what your message must achieve.
The Importance of Writing Clearly for Business
Creating written documents reveals so much about you and your business skills. Your writing tells the reader about your educational background, pride in your work and business expertise.
Top Ten Reasons Its Great To Be A Writer
10 - You will always have a job. As long as people want to read, other people like us need to write.
Could Your Book Idea Be the Next Best Seller?
Everyone has a unique story to tell. From explaining business processes to revealing our personal history, we all have a natural desire to share our experiences with the world.
Does The Title Reflect The Story?
Short Story Writing Tips -We all have different tastes in what we like to read. Some have a particular taste for horror, while others prefer romance or fantasy or crime stories, etc.
Pairs/Groups Of Words Often Confused - Part 6 of 6
SALE, SAIL Sale is either offering something for purchase ("for sale")or offering it at a special price ("on sale"); sail is partof a ship or boat.SELL, CELLSell is to exchange for money; cell is a small room.
Recipe for a Style Guide
Wired Online has recently announced its plans to drop capitalization in internet, web, and net, but Wired Magazine continues to capitalize these words. Which should you do? For the most part, it's up to you.
Increase Your Chances Of Winning Writing Contests
Winning writing contests can provide several advantages to writers. For starters it's a great way to get your name in print and in front of potential readers.
Book Publishing Contracts For Writers: What Should I Look Out For?
Dave, I just got a contract for a book from a publisher that I haven't worked with before. These long, tedious legal documents just befuddle me, however! Would you mind spinning through this and seeing what you think about the terms and clauses herein?Here are my thoughts on this contract.