8 Great Journaling Tips
Mix a martini, don't forget the olives, or pour yourself atea, relax and enjoy!
There are no hard-set rules for keeping a journal. How oftenyou write, time you spend, and how rigorously you maintain aregular journaling schedule are matters of personal choiceand circumstance. Therefore, it is important to find whatworks for you. Here are nine guidelines to assist you.
1. Allow for regular writing times. Find a time of day thatworks well for you and use this time every day. As much aspossible, control interruptions during this time.
2. Give yourself an inviting writing environment. If youneed quiet space, find a time that you can write withoutnoise and interruption. If the hum of the world around youis soothing rather than distracting, plan to write during atime when other people will be engaged in their own work andnot looking over your shoulder.
3. Develop a centering ritual. Associating journaling withanother pleasurable habit can guide to strengthen theroutine and create an atmosphere of self-nurturing. When youare ready to write in your journal, consider pouringyourself a cup of tea or coffee. Play relaxing music. Take amoment for meditation, deep breathing, or prayer.
4. Prompt your writing with a routine self-reflectionquestion: Triggers such as "What are you feeling right now?"or "What's on your mind?" Anais Nin suggests asking "whatfeels vivid, warm, or near to you at the moment?"
5. Write because you desire to write, because you know it'sa comfortable place to be you. Don't allow journaling tobecome an obligation or chore. Remember not to demand moreof yourself than you can give. If you have missed a day, orseveral days, accept that journaling, like life, isimperfect and go on. Write the next time you have a chance.
6. Create a positive feedback loop. As you continue to usethe journal as an opportunity to be with and learn aboutyourself, you will find that the practice gains a momentumall its own. Discovering your own hidden depths piques yourcuriosity and stimulates you to continue, setting up apositive feedback loop between your conscious andunconscious mind.
7. Emphasize process rather than product. An importantpurpose of journal writing is simply expressing andrecording your thoughts and feelings. Concentrate on theprocess of writing -- keeping the flow of words rather thanworrying about the result. If your goal is to have specificaudiences read your piece, go back to it later and edit it.Use your journal as the raw material for more polishedwriting.
8. Learn from your own experiences. It is always good toreread your entries a month or so down the road. Itdemonstrates your growth -- a nice pat on the back for allof us. Look for patterns and correlations. What improved,what stayed the same? Learning from yourself is so muchmore gentler on the self-esteem. Use objectivity to reviewyour life from a different perspective with hindsight.
Relax, have fun, and don't forget to laugh! Journal writingis its own reward. Once you get started, your journal willbecome another one of your good friends -- one who is alwaysavailable and never presents a deafening ear. Your journalloves you for being you.
Catherine Franz has taught journaling for the last 15 years,including two US Presidents and First Ladies, and hundredsof workshops internationally. She currently has twoinformational documents available on journaling at:http://www.abundancecenter.com/Store/main.htm
Write That Down! Compulsively Collecting Content for Your Writing
Have you ever read someone else's writing and thought one of the following things:Where did he get such great stories?Why can't I think of examples like that?How does she always develop amazing illustrations?The answer is: content.In writing, content is KING.
Mexican Living: Pasatiempo
It occurred to me one day that I needed something to do with my time when I wasn't writing. You know--something to divert myself so more writing ideas could come to mind.
Top Ten Writing Mistakes Made By New Childrens Writers
Okay. So I'm not David Letterman.
Should I Keep Writing?
Writers are an insecure lot.It's easy to understand why.
10 Best Writers Who Ever Lived
Compiling a list of the history's ten best writers is like skating on a heated swimming pool. Just when you get started, you find yourself in hot water.
Seven Suggestions To Develop a Superb Writing Style
Every writer eventually develops her own unique style of writing. As you struggle to create your own voice, while focusing on the required standards, you may want to consider the following tips for improving your style and establishing a professional formula for success.
7 Essential Letter Writing Strategies
Based on the feedback that I have been getting from visitorsto my writinghelp-central.com Web site, letter writing isdefinitely the area where most people are looking for helpor guidance when it comes to day-to-day writing.
Here's something from my mailbag. "Dear Michael, do you need todo good in school if you want to be a writer? I stink at schooland all my friends laugh at me when I tell them I want to write,but I'm serious.
Make Your Mark Upon Humanity
The greatest gift you have to give to yourself and humanity is the book, the song, the poem the artwork or invention that is locked away within your consciousness.All of us have this gift that needs to come out.
The Magic of Layout in Your Story
"The Magic of Layout..
The journey to having my first novel for children published has been riddled with road blocks and shonky bridges. The good news? At every rickety stage I've picked up tips (and anti-tips) which I'm happy to share with everyone.
Piecing It All Together
There's a little known secret we writers like to keep to ourselves, because we fear that if word got out, readers would immediately become disillusioned and abandon us. It's not as bad as a reviewer spoiling a twist in the plot of a book, I suppose.
How To Build A Successful Freelance Editorial Career
In the current job market, many editorial freelancers have turned to freelance work as a matter of survival. I receive many queries from applicants regarding this part of the market.
To Outline Or Not To Outline
Ah, the age-old writer's debate--to outline or not to outline?Outlines have proven quite effective for a lot of writers, and many of the famous stories we know and love--such as Star Wars--were outlined before they were fleshed out into a living, breathing story. (Well, metaphorically living and breathing, anyway.
Writing Tips For Novice Authors
If you are reading this article then you probably have asked yourself at some point in your life, "Do I have what it takes to become an author?"I believe that successful authors, those who actually write and finish that novel, or book of poetry, or even that book of short stories, and see it all the way to publication, have certain characteristics.Characteristics of Authors1.
A Quick Guide to ISBNs for Self-Publishers
ISBN stands for International Standard Book Number. It is a code assigned to every published book that uniquely identifies it in the marketplace.
9 More Writing Tips for Successful Email Marketing
A few months ago, I wrote a guide entitled: 101 Writing Tips for Successful Email Marketing. In fact, many COPY TIPS subscribers have a copy.
7 Writing Muse Kickers to Fill Up That Blank Page
Nothing is more daunting for any writer than having to stare at a blank sheet of paper.When we stare at a blank sheet of paper, we often think, "What am I going to write?" A few minutes later, it becomes, "Oh my goodness, I can't think of anything to write!" And several minutes later, it turns into something like, "Write, dangnabit! Write! Write! WRITE!"Some writers call this writer's block.
Have You Tested Your Plot?
Creative Writing Tips -Our plotting stage is our testing area.Everything in the plot should be tested for its effectiveness before we put in into our stories.
Write A Better Newsletter!
You've decided to write your very own Newsletter to promote your business, communicate with your customers, or just for FUN.You've read hundreds of newsletters.