Reasons for Recording Your Life Story
1. No one else will do it for you.
2. No one else knows the stories of you life quite like you do. Do you want them to tell it?
3. This is an opportunity to share knowledge, wisdom and advice to those who would be inspired tolearn from us.
4. When we record something, we remember more.
5. By reflection and recording we are able to gain a deeper appreciation for all the surroundinghappenings that influenced our decisions and experiences.
6. A life examined and recorded is twice precious, first the experience itself and then the memories itevokes when we read about it later.
7. Everyone has a story to tell. We each have a unique view of history from our own perspective.
8. There is an inner need in each of us to be remembered. To reflect and to see that our lives hadvalue.
9. We want to be remembered by descendants as a real person and not just a name on a tree.
10. If not recorded, the stories you learned from your grandparents will die with you.
11. The things you did as a child are as remote from children today as Mars is from the Earth.
12. You will be looking at painful memories of childhood with the eyes of an adult and realize that theyno longer have the power to hurt you.
13. You have the opportunity to leave a legacy for friends and family.
14. This is a way to celebrate your own life.
15. It allows family and friends to know you as an individual, not just the role they were familiar with.
16. By sharing how you overcame adversity, it may strengthen another who is facing a hard time.
17. It gives you an opportunity to not only examine events, but feelings and emotions.
18. It allows you the opportunity to say on paper what is sometimes hard to express in person.
19. By writing our stories, we can examine our life's journey with a wider view.
20. It is very therapeutic to examine the past and then to let old hurts go.
21. It is the ultimate journey of self-discovery, even if no one else ever reads it.
22. You can pass down traditions, standards, beliefs or even recipes that have a great deal of meaningwithin the family or community.
23. As you grow older and less verbal, it helps caregivers and others to see you as you once were.
24. You will be respected, envied and praised for doing what most people just talk about doing.
A recent survey taken of a group of elderly people indicated that their major life regrets were in not:
! Taking more risks-choosing the secure over the unknown and the unknown would have been fine..
! Reflecting more, taking time to stop along the way and decide who we are and where we are going.
! Contributing and sharing more feelings, thoughts and emotions with family, friends and community.
By recording your life story, which is a scary step to take, you can accomplish all three.
There is an old African saying that every time a person dies, it is as if a library has burned down.
Just do it, you will always be glad that you did!!!
If you are interested in getting the answers to these and otherquestions about life story writing, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org and sign up for a tele-classand our FREE e-zine: "The Artichoke" - finding the heart of thestory in the journey of life..
©Judy H. Wright, Personal and Oral Historian - www.artichokepress.com
Go With The Flow: Write With Transition Words and Phrases
One of the most common weaknesses I see in day-to-daywriting is poor logical flow from one idea or point tothe next. This usually takes the form of a bunch ofseemingly unrelated phrases thrown together with littleor no sense of sequence, continuity, or relativity.
Becoming the Total Package
Being a great writer is no longer enough if you plan to score a big publishing deal, especially as a nonfiction author.Particularly if your book idea falls into the how-to or self-help categories, you not only have to sell your terrific writing, but you also have to sell yourself as the books conduit to the world.
Writing Without Style
Style manuals are all well and good, and in fact, highly desirable for newspapers. The average reading level of newspaper readers is the sixth grade.
On Writing and Poetry: Harry Calhoun in Conversation
"This is just brilliant. The whole interview is incredible? I'm? REALLY appreciative of some seriously good advice from a fellow writer.
Personal Journaling - Strategies To Make It Easy
Recently I was watching the Oprah show and it was about doing something really great in someones life. Was it buying them a special gift? Or taking them out? Not really.
Im Just The Writer
Writers are often are greatly surprised or disappointed by how their work is changed when it is adapted for the big screen. When Irwin Shaw's World War II novel The Young Lions was shot in Paris in 1958, the Nazi character was played by Marlon Brando.
Do The Unfamiliar To Keep Your Writing Going
One of the best ways to blow someone's winning streak during a tennis game is to comment on how great they are doing. Your comment will kick in their left brain's inner critic which will zap their flow and change their focus.
The Hard Facts About Editing
Whether you're interviewing for a new job, trying to woo a love interest on a first date, selling your work on the Internet, or submitting a query to an editor, you can never make a second first impression. It's true.
How to Have an Effective Reading Group
Writing leads to reading. Therefore, it's only fair to supply my readers with sufficient information on creating an effective reading group, since the last article was based on writing groups.
Screenwriting and Screenwriters - beyond Syd Field
Without denigrating the work and contribution of Syd Field to the art of screenwriting, it is about time many screenwriters moved on.Syd Field gave us the plot point - a clearer definition of what was previously known as the "twist" - as well as other concepts such as the "pinch" and midpoint.
Looking For Good Copywriter Books?
If you are looking for copywriter books, you'll want to devote some time to reading. In fact, if you plan to look online for your copy writer resources, you might as well just devote your life to reading! There are so many books that are available for you to purchase.
10 Best Writers Who Ever Lived
Compiling a list of the history's ten best writers is like skating on a heated swimming pool. Just when you get started, you find yourself in hot water.
Sometime one must coax the words out.Each day is a struggle to sit before the computer and produce-produce words that are appropriate, produce sentences that are logical, produce paragraphs that are focused, and produce a page that is relevant to the project-whether it is a poem, a short story, an article, an essay, or part of a novel.
Freelance or Staff
There is no doubt that a staff writer enjoys advantages not availed by the freelancer. However, there are benefits available to the freelancer that a staff writer can never expect.
Five EASY Ways to Improve Your Business Writing
Have you ever wondered why some people can make millions writing books, and others (maybe you) can't even complete a simple business letter worth reading? Sure, natural talent probably accounts for some of their writing success. But really the best-selling authors achieved that level of success by devoting serious time and effort to perfecting their craft.
Italics Part 2 - Using Italics to Show Thoughts
Way back in your early school years, you were probably taught to use the tag "he thought" in your stories, to tip readers off that someone was thinking. If you substituted something more innovative, like "he pondered" or "Harry deliberated", you might even have scored a big red tick.
Is Horror Dead?
I've noticed a big shift away from traditional horror recently, in books, shorts and in subs to E2M.What's happened to the werewolves, devils, demons, ghosts, vamps and other nasties?Some claim that the above has been done to death.
The Cost of Being a Writer
You are the only one who knows what being a writer means to you.You are the only one who knows whether you consider it to be a career, or a pleasant hobby.
Writing Helpful Help - A Minimalism Checklist
User documentation is all too often written by programmers for programmers. It tends to focus on the product's features, rather than the user's tasks.
Focusing Your Reading and Finding Ideas
Many experts recommend reading as a way to get ideas, but usually do not offer more specific suggestions, such as pinpointing and identifying areas that you can select from and write about. From my own experience, I know how frustrating this can be.