Interactive Haiku Generator
Enter your words in the field below and click the 'Generate Haiku' button. Your words will be randomly inserted into haiku templates created from famous haiku.
Enter text to use for the haiku (1300 character limit)
- The essence of haiku is the juxtaposition of two images or ideas and a "cutting word" between them (a word that signals the seperation and relation between the two images or ideas.
- Traditional haiku consists of 17 "on" or "morae", in 3 phrases of 5, 7, and 5.
- Haiku are often erronously stated to have 17 syllables, but this is inaccurate as syllables and "on" are not the same.
- Modern Japanese haiku are increasingly unlikely to follow the 17 "on" tradition.
- (paraphrased from Wikipedia)