Overcome Writer's Block
- 5 tips and tricks that will help you to overcome writer's block.
- 1. Relax. Start your writing with a simple exercise in meditation. Breathe in and out while silently counting backward from 50. Words have a way of showing up on the page once you clear your head.
- 2. Have a Plan. Know what you are going to be writing about. Make sure you have a thesis statement and stick to it. Jot down an outline with some key points that you can go back to when you've stalled out.
- 3. Have Fun. One of my favorite tricks for writing, especially if you're writing fiction, is the dictionary game. Take out your dictionary, close your eyes and pick 5 words out of nowhere. Then start writing using those words in your story.
- 4. Be realistic. Think of writing like exercise. You wouldn't expect to hop on a treadmill for the first time and run 5 miles. Give yourself a break. Set short, measurable and realistic goals for yourself. If you are new to writing, write for 10 minutes a few times a day and work up to whatever you want your goal to be.
- 5. Walk away. Sometimes you just need to get away from it. Get some fresh air, people watch and take in all that's around you. It might be helpful to take a notebook with you.
Try some of these little tricks the next time you need to overcome writers block. They will get you writing again, and once you start, you'll be on your way to reaching your goal.
If the thoughts in your head are as blank as the page before you, here are 5 tips and tricks that will help you to overcome writer's block.