Multiplying Sales As A Writer
Often, time is an enemy of writers. Sales seem slow andchecks too small. How does one make the most of theireffort? Here are some tips that will multiply your sales.
1. Companies accepting manuscripts from freelancers offercopies of their writing guidelines and sample copies.Assume there's a reason for them. Study them. The Internetwill save you much postage and time from when I started.Study their web sites as well. What do they tell you aboutthe publication's readers?
2. Think ahead. Lead times for publication are rarelyshort. Writers' guidelines often teach Christmas is inJuly. Lead times can be shorter for the Internet. Learnwhat they are. Submit accordingly.
3. Take advantage of your research. Write more than onemanuscript for the same effort. This adds to yourproductivity. Interviewing a camp director? Write afeature article on how to select a camp for more than onemarket. Write a filler article. Write an article on finding work at a camp.
4. Resell the same manuscript multiple times. My recordfor off-line publication with one manuscript isseventeen reprints. It is easy to surpass this on the web.
5. Resell to editors. Once you sell to a company, sendanother query or manuscript to its editor. Some companiesmay buy from you for each issue, others will buy only onceevery so many months. Learn what they want before yousubmit. Learn this from studying their publication beforeyou query. If they like what you do, keep them happy.
6. Use query letters whenever possible. When an editor hasOK'd a query letter first you usually succeed at sellingthe manuscript . This saves valuable time! Kill fees aremore often offered if article results from a query letteras well.
Take a look at your sales. What has worked for you? Howcan you multiply your sales? Brainstorm more ideas. Making more money per manuscript is possible.
Author info: L. C. Peterson is a freelance writer and website marketer. The writer's personal web site is http://www.lcpeterson.com. More publishing tips can be foundat http://www.publishingebooks.com.
Why I Write Horror
These are some of the snapshots I carry with me: My father coming up to visit me after first being diagnosed with leukemia. The visit was a surprise, and he brought a new computer with him.
Once you've plotted out your book, developed the characters and written the last word of text, the real work begins. As busy editors are bombarded with hundreds or even thousands of submissions a year, it's more important than ever that authors apply their own editing skills to their manuscripts before putting them in the mail.
Teachers Should Write, During Their Summers
Before I became a teacher, I was a sports writer. Working for a newspaper taught me a lot about writing, especially dealing with the pressures of deadlines.
Mission Possible: Get Published with Goals, Guidance, and Persistance
You send me an e-mail. You tell me you've written over three hundred poems since you were 16 (in your teenage angst stage).
Names are important. Names give clues about us, where we live, who we are.
Childrens Stories - The Essentials
There is no specific formula for children's fiction. There are, however, some necessities.
6 Ways to Toot Your Own Writing Horn
You know you've got writing talent. Others enjoy your work and you've even sold a few things.
How To Write A Newsletter
In order to be successful with a newsletter, specialize in a subject not adequately covered in existing newsletters. A subject which you can give more, or better information on.
The Heart of the Delay: Harnessing The Wisdom of Procrastination (AKA Writers Block)
I am sure that at in some era, at some desk, with some kind of paper (and perhaps some very special ink), some writer has breezed through a lengthy and challenging project from beginning to end with no delays. No one in her household has suffered, she's felt pleased at each step of the process, and her shoulders have never cried out for massage.
Writing the KAIZEN Way
Over the past eight years or so, I have tutored thousands of writing students. They come in all flavours: retirees who at last have time to satisfy a dream; young mothers who want a job they can do at home; bored workers who feel their creativity is being stifled by their existing careers.
Tell the World About You
You have a new website, or a new business, or both - or your site isn't getting the kind of traffic you want and need. How are you going to tell the world about what you have to offer and where to find it?If you have deep pockets, you can start buying ads in newsletters and ezines and hope somebody reads them.
An Introduction to Self Publishing Material
Any article, report or book which is bought or sold with reproduction rights is generally referred to as self-publishing material. Most commonly, this material consists of reports or articles varying in length from 1 to 20 or more pages.
On Writing and Poetry: Harry Calhoun in Conversation
"This is just brilliant. The whole interview is incredible? I'm? REALLY appreciative of some seriously good advice from a fellow writer.
Uncommon Advice for Beginning Novelists
1) Convince yourself you want to do something else. If you don't succeed, proceed to number 2.
Apostrophe Usage Made Simple
According to one of my previous articles, whenever a Southernersays "Y'all watch this," get out of the way because those areprobably the last words he will ever say.Well, I'm a Southerner.
Before You Write Your Book, Organize Its Parts - Part 2
If you are a serious writer who wants to publish and sell books and informational products, you need to be able to find all of its parts in a minute or less. Filing only the important parts of your book will yield fast-writing your book.
Ten Tips to Help You Finish Writing Your Novel
1. Set aside a time to write and keep it sacred.
A Writers Tools
If you are like most writers, you're constantly searching for tips on technique that will help you to increase your chances of publication. You eagerly pounce on articles that tell you how to plot better, write better and sell better.
How To Self-Publish Your Own Books, Manuals, Reports Or Newsletters
You can make a lot of money by writing and self-publishing your own material, if you are willing to write books, manuals, reports or newsletters that millions of people across the United States, and throughout the world for that matter, desperately want to buy. Today, more than ever before, is the age of information.
Gut Check: Quitting Your Full-time Job for Your Freelance Career
It's 6:00 p.m.